The cost to her owner to have these put on her feet was about $500. A vet was brought in to nerve block her so she could hold her foot up long enough to have this done to her.
I'd been buting her for a few days, so finally on Wednesday, it felt like the right time to remove the shoes. She's was a pretty good gal considering all she's been through.
It was a challenge to remove the plastic plates what with being nailed and glued on. This is the 3rd pair of these things I've removed from a horse whose just been issued its death warrant. The "blue smoke" gets thicker with each one I pull off...that's how we referred the language we'd hear when my dad would bust his knuckles while working on a truck engine.
This is what I found underneath. Rotted (necrotic) foot. I can't describe the lovely aroma that permeates he air with this job sometimes.
I cleaned one front foot up as best I could and reduced some toe. The other foot had already been chopped on a bit, so I left that one for later. I was proud of how well she stood for me during all this, so I gave her a break.
I'm keeping hay in front of her at all times, she doesn't get excited about grain at all.
She's a sweet little mare!